Open Letter Signed by the Rabbis of London
We were shocked to hear that the world media gave the impression that the traditionally Orthodox Jews in England have some connection with the provocations against the non-Jewish countries by the Zionists in the Holy Land and in the rest of the world.
Therefore we hereby publicize the Torah view, which was the view of rabbis of past generations as well as the view of the current Chief Rabbi of London’s UOHC, Rabbi Ephraim Padwa, that we must not take part in any way in actions that anger the nations of the world.
We were commanded to “seek the peace of the city” of our exile (Jeremiah 29:7). We protest against such provocative actions and public Zionist demonstrations, as well as against their recent anti-Muslim declarations, which can only create antagonism between our communities
Unless we condemn these actions in the strongest language, they could bring danger upon Jews in this country, G-d forbid. Therefore we hereby declare that we have no connection to these grave actions, or to any public declaration made by the Zionists, here or in the Holy Land
For many years, we have lived peacefully and safely alongside all our neighbours; may G-d help that this continue. Whoever takes part in the above-mentioned actions does not represent us!
We pray to G-d for peace for all of the Jewish people and all the nations of the world. May wars and tragedies be no more, and we soon merit to greet the messiah, amen. Signed with pain here in London:
- Rabbi Elyakim Schlessinger, head of Yeshivas Haramah.
- Rabbi Boruch Chuna Greenfeld, head of the Bobov-45 Yeshiva and Rabbinic Judge at UOHC
- Rabbi Shlomo Labin, Zidichover Rebbe
- Rabbi Shmuel Binyomin Krauss, Rabbi of Beis Shlomo Aryeh
- Rabbi Naftoli Pinchus Englander, Rabbinic Judge at UOHC
- Rabbi Moshe Yitzchok Luntzer, Rabbinic Judge at Satmar
- Rabbi Eliezer Mordechai Stolzberg, Rabbinic Judge at UOHC and Satmar
- Rabbi Yaakov Yehoshua Brander, Head of Kollel Horaah
- Rabbi Yaakov Binyomin Menachem Marmorstein, Rabbi of Ohel Moshe Synagogue
- Rabbi Eliezer Schlessinger, Head of Yeshivas Haramah
- Rabbi Yaakov Dovid Domb, Rabbi of the Tehillos Yoel Synagogue
- Rabbi Eliezer YT Lipa Braun, Rabbi of Nitra and Rabbinic Judge at UOHC
- Rabbi Isaac Rosenbaum, Strazhnitzer Rebbe
- Rabbi Yechezkel Rappoport, Dean Tiferes Yisroel